It's day 1 of the workshop that I am co-leading here in Costa Rica with my friend Rob Knight, who runs Digital Photo Adventures. The participates are all getting great shots! Here are a few of mine, along with some tips.
• Please the main subject off center.
• Frame the subject with a foreground element.
• Crop for creative composition.
• Expose for the highlights.
• Shoot at a wide aperture to blur the background - which makes your subject stand out in the frame.
• Look for catch light in the subject's eye.
• Watch the background - it can make or break a shot.
• Do what master painters do to draw attention to the subject: darken the edges of the frame.
• Focus on the eye.
• Blur a foreground element to add a realistic look to your picture.
• Shoot HDR in high-contrast situations.
• Have fun with fish-eye lenses.
I created the above image with Photomatix. You can save 15% when you order Photomatix by using this code: ricksammon.
More image to come. Thank you for tuning in.
For all my workshops, click here.
Explore the light,